Thursday, April 20, 2006

In search of a warrior

I take the Sunday afternoon Yoga class because it is ridiculously hard. Janine asks things of her class that don't seem possible. To be honest, I danced from the age of 2-16 and still I can not do everything she asks, but I try. I leave feeling stronger and more settled with myself. Except for the very end. She folds her hands in Namaste and says "The divine in me bows to the divine in you"... and I want to slap her.

The entire class of yoga enthusists bow before her... And I cannot.. Nay, will not. The first time, I was so ashamed of myself and went for a cup of tea to sort it out. I was in such a good place except slightly disconcerted and couldn't figure out why. Ready for the why? Really? I am a Hindu, and consider myself a good Hindu, it is where I find peace and what I am reverent to. I believe we each have a portion of Divinity within us. I strive to be more humble, more giving, more worthy of the blessings I have. I will not bow before another that uses this working meditation as a fad, and would not revere this in any other facet of life. Don't understand?

I bow to my mom out of respect. If I had not seen her for a while and walked into someone else's house and she was there, probably in private depending on the circumstances, I would bow and touch her feet. The new agerswho eat granola are not worthy of such devotion. You will not murder my heritage, the language, the essence that is peace with you braying of a mangled "aum" and consider yourself on the same pedestal. It is not the same and go shove soy nuts up your nose.

Twice a week I circuit train. It is brutal and full of energy. I look forward to it. The instructor is in perfect shape. He closes with a few yoga poses, the triangle and the chair. He teaches a yoga class of his own. He does not bow. I respect him more because he has no right.

Looking at this, it makes me feel small. I don't believe it to be a complete absolute. I guess searching for peace would qualify one, but not without understanding... otherwise it is still an insult.

No comments: