Friday, April 28, 2006

"You can't get nobody looking like you look, talking like you talk, acting like you act..."

So the quote is from Chris Rock and so very true. Case in point... conversation with an ex. We are friends, and it was a struggle to get to that point. But the option of an us is a never ever again thing. Just last night he critisized me for not having the ability to go back... once I'm done, I'm done. But I digress

He has met a girl he is interested in, but she works for a girl who has expressed interest in him and he has superficially entertained. So the situation is sticky. He asks for my opinion so I give it... It has potential to hurt the other girl, but if the girl he is interested in truly moves him or looks like something he'd be stupid to walk away from... do we really have any loyalty to the other? I think not.

He explains the love interest as "intriguing" and I say tell me about it! He pitches her as a pre-med undergrad, gorgeous, and with the ability to talk about Nietzche, Gibran, and Emerson... and in the back of my mind a little voice says... "you like her because she knows about these writers... and you love to talk about them but 1. you don't read, 2. least of all have you read any of them in a good long time, and 3. your existence is around movies not books."

Maybe I am biased because I remember my 1st impression of him being cultured, well-read, and articulate. With time his words carry far less weight. I remember the 1st conversations about my books, because I do read... a lot, and which editions we both had.... and then there was a Christmas that I gave him 5 oxford printed translations of Nietzche's work and I was very excited about them. It is hard to find translations of some pieces of work that are readable and easy to understand. Want to know what he said??? "Why did you get me books?" (did I convey disappointment from him? Oh yeah he threw that at me numerous times... that I only bought him books)

And all of the conversations that followed in which it became quite apparent that sometimes he said a lot of words about books or authors without making a point... but still had words to say.

So I know how much he doesn't know about something he pitches to girls he's interested in. And I have to say... I can't wait to see what happens. Maybe she will be good for him... Like I said, he is still my friend and there is a lot about him that is really great stuff, literary knowledge notwithstanding... but this is still the "piece of himself" that he presents first. I have to admit, I am curious to see how he keeps her attention.

After your rep has pitched you to the mark, what comes next? do you live the lie or drop the curtain to the beast you truly are? and what does my rep look like? ick.

No comments: