Sunday, May 04, 2008

Today I met someone...

not in the way that you think.



I blog it because i think it might be significant.



This has been an amazing week. Let's start with I applied and was accepted the same day to law school. Let's further explain it is to evening school which would allow me to still do what I do and have my company pay for it (as a reimbursement to the max allowable by the IRS). The downside, it is in BR, LA and considered a crap school to the rest of the United States.



and I can hear the Dream killer's response to my ever present "What if I don't get into a good school"... he says "Then you be the best at a bad school".


So here's the thing... i ran the lakes this morning and went to my favorite coffee shop to read a bit. i ran into one of the girls i met on law school campus when I was being given the tour. She is super sweet and telling me all about the program etc. Then there is J.Harris who is the #2 ranked person in his class and starting to clerk for a HUGE firm in LA. both are giving me the realities of life and acceptance to this school. After a grounding conversation they go their respective ways.



Intro MARY. She is the person I met of some significance.

"i didn't want to say anything because your friends were there, but did you know that X is a crap school? why aren't you going to Loyola or Tulane?"

blah blah, i love my job, they will pay for it, opportunity with my company... etc.

"there will be other job. you can get a job anywhere. they will pay for that because tuition is so cheap, you will only be able to stay in LA. do you want to do that? Forgive me for saying so but you would be limiting yourself"

blah blah just applied, just got in, could i still be considered for Loyola. the amazing debt etc etc.

"if you finish from there, or even your 1st year, you can transfer to Tulane... and get a job anywhere. knock that debt out in 5 years. the reputation of the school speaks for itself".

and i know this. she gives me the name of someone in the admissions office to call.

i am going through the mental rolodex... i have a guy who has a grandfather on the Board at Loyola... that might be worth something.

She said a bunch more... but nothing i haven't heard before, nor anything that i did not tell myself. I am afraid of rejection.. but I did promise myself the best possible shot.

So we take the shot and see what happens.

also... so the Vice Chancellor at school X calls to tell me I was accepted... and shows me around campus... and tells me there is a scholarship if I transfer to full day (and quit work). Know why? my humbling LSAT score is the 2nd highest in my incoming class. This does not make me feel good. Especially since I hate that score and tested so much higher.

so realignment of focused energy.

if Loyola is a resounding no we have the crap shoot and will simply have to make that work and beg borrow and steal to transfer.

Because I am done low-balling myself.

and i am a competitive jerk. I can do this and I owe myself the best possible shot.

jesus christ what am i doing?!

No comments: