Saturday, February 09, 2008

Chinese Hush Money.


So the Chinese new year was this week. The only know this because I found a tiny red envelope in my leather chair on a random morning. with a note but no signature. some of us got them, but not all of us. the dork in me was trying to figure out who they came from by association.

Boy am I glad I did not assume it was from Monica just because her parents own a Chinese buffet restaurant... boy would I have been embarrassed.... it was not from her. and she did not get one. and i got the distinct pleasure of not sounding like a tool as I faked a conversation about something I had no idea about.

nope, this is me. so of COURSE it came from the staffing manager. I have to give you more there...He is from San Diego (He thinks this makes him hip). His father is Phillipino (that makes him small) and his mother is Indian (that makes him weird). His wife is a caucasian insect professor at LSU who runs marathons (so he thinks we have something in common to discuss). He randomly spoke to me in Japanese for several days... because he assumed I am very cultured. (I AM VERY CULTURED! ish.) He does not so much speak to me... as he speaks AT me.

I am goofy. http://www.trymango.com/ i started learning Japanese because I was embarrassed that I had no Japanese in my repetoire. I can have that whole intro conversation. Anatawa?

back to the money. he printed up this little blurb to go with it... Saying this is the year of the Rat (yay RAT) and how in china little kids got a little red envelope with either $2 or $4 as something to ward off evil, etc. (mine has 2... i didn't open mine, but i coerced someone else into open theirs). M (boss) laughed at me as I described it to her before she got in... "What is it?" she asks.

"It is supposed to ward off evil... and we both got one... maybe we are being called evil?" i much rather prefer to refer to it as my Chinese Hush Money.

and i'm not going to open it or spend it.

and you cannot have it either.

No comments: