Sunday, February 24, 2008

Where did all the words go?

I promised you an update. my company is going to pay for me to go to law school. It is amazing and spectacular... and a mixed blessing.

said concession comes with a few fixed prices:
1. law school has to be here
2. there is a cap set by the IRS that they cannot exceed (there is a way around that... maybe I'll tell you once I've gotten them to get over this)
3. I have to make at least a B in every class
4. I have to go at least 2 semesters a year
5. I still have to work full-time

mother of god.

So this is how we will make this work.
1. law school will be here (for now, with the soft intention of I will transfer if i decide that is better for me and just take mammoth loans)
2. for now we will take the max
3. oh-gosh... i can't breath. nor will i be able to until i know what I am doing. The girl that works in the Starbux downstairs is about to be a 3-L. I am getting all of her books to start reading this sh*t NOW.
4. Duh. the program I am taking is 11 hours a semester but you still finish in 3 years. better than an evening part time program that takes 4 and a half. plus i will go to summer school. i don't need a life for now. i need to not be poor.
5. and ok. if that is what it takes for now... O.K.

The part that has yet to be mentioned... and it is very very pertinent...

There is nothing in the policy, verbal, or written agreement that promises me to your company for any length of time. i.e. if i pay for 1 semester you owe me 2 years. nope.

On it's face, it would seem like that means they could let me go whenever they want. True. but that was always so. as can i leave at any point in time. and should such a thing happen mid semester... we up the loans and find a clerkship. that is the contingency plan. i know better than not having one.

also, you are asking yourself... why would they pay for law school? if so many people are going... and they have a great in house council... they have their pick of people and only hire attys with 4-7 years of experience... in a nut shell, here it is...

a while ago Shy told me I left 20K on the table b/c I did not negotiate my salary b/c I was so ready to leave JPMorgan Chase. I did some research. That is true. The national average for what I do is 23K more than i make. the state average is ALSO more than I make. I know this. they know i know this. i am told i cannot negotiate salary until august. ok.

I bring up law school and got asked for a justification. i have no idea what i wrote but it convinced my boss, her boss and the COO of my company. so it is like giving me a raise without my business line having to pay for it.

M (my boss) is afraid this might give me less to bargain with in august for more money. No. no. I have met me, and I am no longer the person I was. This is how we will fix that.

I work harder. I am taking sh*t home, I am pulling up the email, and will be getting them to give me a black berry to be more available to you. for now. In April I will start my 6 week construction class. it ends in June, i might so the safety bit too.... which will give me an OSHA 10 certification. which i could give a hoot less about, but on a resume it is growth, it is challenging... and it looks like i am interested in whatever my business/industry does.

i will be more of a techie and get my certifications to teach a few more professional offerings... like project management classes... and Microsoft Project.

By the time we get to August, you will have to pay me what I am worth. If not the whole 23K more... pretty freakin close to it. because before we ask for the raise... the resume will go everywhere.... including the engineering firm down the street.

No comments: