Tuesday, August 29, 2006

"Beware the Jabberwock"


WARNING: Excessively rambling blog to follow...this may turn into an official blog-series.

We have an interesting Tuesday ahead of us, so we will try to stay on track.

The quote is from Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking Glass". I love it- the whole book. As a child, it made more sense than most poetry did. As an adult I can see so many more nuances- especially from a sociological standpoint. i.e. The point of today's blog- The looking glass self. I forget whose theory is was but the basic premise is that some of the way we identify ourselves is through the eyes of others. The reflection as it were. For those of you that haven't read Carroll in a while, flop it open, any page, and try to see it with those eyes... it is quite fantastic.

We'll start with Bride-Zilla. She gets married in October. I and three others from high school are in her wedding. I can't even say she is my friend, but she has no one else- and I feel like we should all at least try to make someone's special day- special. She has a whole brunch to tell us that we are expected to lose 2 dress sizes before then because she doesn't want any fat bridesmaids. Excuse me? Later that evening I find myself in a bar with the other 3 discussing our breaking point, and the exact date each of us will be telling her what she can do with a very lovely Vera Wang.

And here is the kick in the head on that issue. I work out- not as much as I used to, or do when I'm training for something. I am a dress size 6. She is asking for me to be a 2. That hasn't happened since senior year in high school, which only happend because of Varsity Tennis, dance team, and hitting the track everyday for 2 weeks before dances. Guess what size I'm going to be in October- probably a 6. What is further sad is that Megora called me offering Aderol for help with some of the extra weight...Listen here hefers... Hard as it is to concieve... I like myself. There are times I've felt heavy and sad going shopping and coming home with no new pants, but at the end of the day I'm pretty happy with me. And a spoiled princess is not going to make me do something unhealthy because she wants her pictures to look a certain way.

Further kick in head... she expect a wedding present from Mignon Faget with matching cuff links for her new hubbie because that is what I gave Jenny Bear. She's not getting a present. I'm not buying the dress (her parents are- it's bad when your parents have to beg people you know to be in your wedding) and I may or may not show up to any of the showers or the bachelorette party. ick.

But this has certainly been the year of the weddings- we are officially up to 6 and those are only what I have attended, not all of the invites from people I'm pretty sure I don't know. At one of the last ones I went to, it was on a plantation in the slave house (dream-killer's mom and I were trying to figure out if there was some kind of discount for getting hitched in 1/2 a barn). I had a good time. A lot of people had a lot of negative things to say about it. I don't think we should so much judge someone else's wedding- after all- it's theirs.

So the next day I get a call from a friend who was there who says "Was that not the ghetto-ist (not a word!) ever?!" and I say... "umm I missed that. The cake was good." To which she enlightens me... "Awwwww K! That's why you get invited to weddings... you look nice, smell good, show up, and say something nice." wow. at least I beat Marston... he gets invited because he brings expensive presents.

jd-responded to law school ? and i have the greatest funny for you when you're having a rotten day. you don't get it until then.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

OK, what does it mean when we both open our blogs with quotes from books, especially when the blogs are within 4 minutes of each other, meaning there is no way we could have known what the other was writing?
Very interesting...

If this wedding you're in weren't in October, I might believe it were my sister you were talking about.