Monday, August 28, 2006

Would Bond call back if he got hung up on?

I am very blessed to have the people in my life that I do. Case in point... Bond, oh yeah James Bond. He is one of my mentors and truly larger than life. He is successful, compassionate, wealthy, humble, brilliant, and very very well-bred. And he believes in me. Through the years he has supported my writing (before I was consumed by self-doubt), my charity work, and personal and professional development. He is so patient with me- my other mentor always says she is envious of how much he treats me like his daughter.

One day last summer- between work, school, and a bona fide stalker I was 2 beats away from losing my cookies. He called to check in on me and invited me to a benefit he was hosting right after work at a fine dining restaurant. I mumbled that I was not appropriately dressed and would try to schedule a coffee with him Saturday morning instead. He asked why wasn't I appropriately dressed, after all I was going to work and you always dress for the job you want, not the job you have. Then I did lose my cookies- I burst into tears like the petulant child I swore I was not. So embarrassed, I hung up on him.

15 minutes later he called me back and asked if I was finished yet. I said yes, but his expectations of me were unfair- I was dealing with a lot. He said I was given so much because I could take it. That being smarter, faster, and stronger meant that your breaks were fewer and farther between. In being the best you can be, you create a lot of jealousy from all of the people around you who see themselves as less, and would rather scratch your eyes out than truly do better for themselves. Bond girls don't get to complain.

Fast forward to every conversation with my sister. Once it was a point of contention that she lives in squalor and works in a bar, and I went to college. That her life was so hard and I just didn't understand because I am perfect. Once there would have been an exchange of words... today she knows the standard response is "I'm sorry you feel that way, it sounds like a personal problem. Whenever you decide you want to do better- do. until then, I don't have time for tantrums."

I love her make no mistake, but no one handed me anything, not this job, not the better one, not anything ever. If we are a summation of the choices we make- then most people really do deserve their pasts, and everyday we don't change it, we accept our present.

If Bond is the lesson in patience, Kris (sister) is the lesson in never apologizing for blessings one has. We have all championed her cause and carried her flag for years, at some point she has to do some of the work and it is easier to help a stranger who will do more with the blessings I provide. and though there are days I feel sad that I can not save her- I still have to remember that she can.

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

How is it that you write such inspiring posts? I might have to take a page out of your book on this one.

KIRAN LIGHT said...

Did you miss it? I am a bond girl ;) we do and know all things (look for the sarcasm it runs through everything i blog)

Recess Monkey said...

Kiran Light,

Thanks for your comment. I thought only 2 people read this blog... :)

Enjoyed reading your entries. Have to say that I understand your frustrations with the opposite sex, especially ones that aren't going to last (Bama?) and ones that you wish wouldn't advance (IT). It makes for fun blogging, anyway.

Anyway, I hope to be hearing from you again.



Later,


RM