Wednesday, August 02, 2006

DOES THAT MAKE MY MOTHER A P.I.M.P.?

Ok this is a good one. I will try to give the premise a bit quicker than ususal. So, last night mom bum-rushes me into having dinner at one of the Indian Auntie's house. It was last minute, it was 9 o'clock- I'd been running errands since I got off at 530- the prospect of wroti looked good to me. She tells me before we get there that the whole purpose of going to this persons house is to meet a boy.... I'm sorry, say that again?

To be specific we are going to "look at" a 28-year old male specimen from Trinidad who is a doctor. (PhD doc not med doc) and I almost threw my car in park in the middle of the street. are you kidding me?!

I've been ducking the arranged marriage discussion for a good 3 years now, and was quite confident it was close to being squashed... apparently not. My friends are like "why are you so against this? this could be great! your parents are trying to give you a dr. on a plate- that is every girl's dream!" and to this I say really? REALLY? have at him girls I will even serve as liason.

Let me try to quantify what it is about this situation that makes me want to get tattoos all over my body so that none of these guys would look twice at me. 1. the whole thing makes me feel like a piece of meat. from the time you can talk Indian parents present this huge expectation upon you. you know how everything about your life stacks up on the scale of marriageablity and if you will get a good boy. don't understand?

people say i am pretty (that's a plus), my mom is divorced (that's a minus), aug 11th i get my degree (plus), but i also have student loans (minus), but no other debt (plus). I am smart (plus) but very vocal about what i think/feel (minus) i am independent (minus) with long hair (plus) but brown skin not yellow (minus). right so you get how this works.

and the 2nd thing is... and boy do i hate the way this looks in writing... I do believe in love. I've seen it, felt it, touched it, and after it anything less is... well, less. how do you build a life with someone you have to learn to like? someone you have nothing in common with, and learn how to deal? even if it doesn't stay that way, at least in the beginning i should like to be excited to see this person. and i explain this to my mom again, and she says..."no one is saying you HAVE to marry him, just maybe have a coffee". fine.

So having met him, he's cute but i still have reservations. so he is going to take sports circuit with me today. if he lasts the entire class then he has earned himself a date on saturday. if not, well i don't ever have to see him again. please hold- shennanagins to follow.

No comments: