Sunday, August 27, 2006

Had I really liked him, this could have sucked!

So birthday dinner got put on hold. Tuesday was the official start of Law School and the dream-killer would not have been able to make it till ridiculously late- it's not that big of a deal, after all this month has literally been the "YAY ME!" month. So monday BAMA stretches with me after circuit training (as he does) and asks about the weekend, and I told him about rocking out in the Z... to which he says "why?" to which I say "Birthday!" and he says "not yours, huh?"... wow was that as irritating as it looks?

anyway he begs to take me out for the big birthday and says he will e-mail me with the plans on Tuesday. and he did... at 5:30 pm to tell me he was still at work and would have to cancel, which is less disappointing than it sounds as I was at work until almost 9. the point is- he could have called it would have taken 30 seconds and now he gets no more of my time. though i am not so ill-bred that i wouldn't speak to him in public. So I see him on Wednesday and he tries to work out next to me... I run faster... so there.

He comes over to stretch with me, I smile, I stretch, I grab my bag and leave him standing there mid-apology.

Friday I see him, I was on the cell, he comes over and hugs me till I can't breath. He says I look stressed. I get off the phone and demurely lament the Tuesday blow-off in 3rd person. he is still full of apologies and i say it is not necessary...which it isn't because I'm done here. Again, my guy friends can try to defend him... but the fact of the matter is- 1. you cannot tell me anything about ambition- it comes out of my eyeballs! i fully understand you stay at work till it gets done, you do whatever you have to do to look like super-woman, and the point of all of this is to squash your compition. and yet... the call would have taken 30 seconds... less time than the email did and furthermore men behave themselves when there is something they truly want and are trying hard for. did you see that? it was a period at the end of that sentence.

*Side note* Please do not regard this as me 'male bashing'. i fully believe that everyone male and female alike have ass-hole potential. and your behavior is a result of how much you are living up to that potential. in every instance i know i have not been perfect and fully acknowledge that i am a work in progress. Plus I have really great stories about how much of my bad behavior i dished out when i was younger. with maturity comes the desire to not be that person anymore, you realize your potential and do better. thus, the threshold that we are willing to accept from other people is less as well... but i digress

how do i know that men have potential to be great and wonderful and align their behavior to appreciate the goddess they think you are? long distance relationship with japan worked for a year and a half with him calling me damn near everyday... FROM JAPAN! My water buffallo did summers in India calling every week at the same time so I would know it was him, braving monsoons to get to the only working phone in the village to hear the sound of my voice. Trust me, if a girl means that much men will move heaven and earth. and like the title says... If I was digging him this would be most unfortunate, luckily we can walk away from this one unscathed. no ick and less Bama :)

11 comments:

Jonathan said...

Bama sounds like a rockhead. What's the deal with law school? You're thinking of going? If so, please reconsider immediately.

KIRAN LIGHT said...

good morning honey! yes i am definitely going, in fact i am looking for a jd/mba program so i can rule the world :) because there is only so much you can do with an undergrad and i want bigger and better, and it seems like it comes with more education? i dunno i'm on a wing and a prayer here. why reconsider?

Jonathan said...

The first question I have to ask is where you realistically expect to go to law school. That will impact my answer.

KIRAN LIGHT said...

Realistically? my safety is Southern University in BR, LA- it is the only other school besides LSU (not an option-it's my alma mater) that does not make you choose between civil and common. It is my safety because it is relatively cheap- i can get free money, and i'm pretty sure I could sell myself with it, even if it is the lesser school.
TULANE is my dream school. especially their JD/MBA- but it is 30k a year w/ about 15K in living expenses. ouch
Loyola, Loyala Chicago for good measure- costs about the same.
UPenn again for the JD/MBA
and University of Kansas- because they offered to waive app fees to apply- so it costs me nothing to take a shot.

Undergrad GPA is shaky- LSAT was 157 but i'm trying to make myself take it again. so we'll see where I get in.

Jonathan said...

Good morning, sugar plum. I perhaps should have asked a couple more questions. Do you want to be a lawyer? Where do you see yourself in 5 years (geographically and career-wise)? Would you be taking out loans to pay for what you won't get in a scholarship? If so, what amount of school loans are we talking about when you get out (generally)? Where do you qualify for in-state tuition?

I got into a Top 25 with a very shaky GPA from a state school that probably isn't as strong as LSU, but my LSAT was a 163. I might recommend you take it again in October, but first let's narrow down the schools :-) Sounds like you're all over the map at this point. I was too, and it turned out to be a big mistake.

UPENN was my dream school and I didn't get in.
With the JD/MBA, would you have to be admitted separately to each school? I imagine you would in most cases.

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to give you the best advice possible. I used to counsel prospectives at my law school, so I have some experience.

KIRAN LIGHT said...

Right so I tried to answer this morning but my comp froze and dumped my response 2x.We'll see how much i remember.
I am not opposed to being a lawyer- the way it worked out in my head was more that I wanted to work in some facet of intelligence- and when the FBI rejected me, I'd have the law degree to fall back on. In 5 years? some facet of intelligence or possibly clerking somewhere or trying to get on a with a larger firm(?) do I sound sure about this, I shouldn't. yes to loans about 150K. and literally willing to mortgage my 1st marriage to pay it off (laugh, it's funny!). and don't apologize for the ?s and advice you can give would be super appreciated, constructive criticism as well.

Jonathan said...

A law degree is a great way to get into intelligence, I must grant you. Rumor has it they are hiring lawyers like crazy. Supposedly, they love the analytical thought process.

The comment on mortgaging your first marriage is very funny. Sadly, what initially went through my head was "that's a brilliant idea."
$150K in loans is alot, especially when you factor in that govt. jobs don't pay a ton. You might be able to get some loan forgiveness for taking a govt. job and keeping it for a certain number of years. It would definitely be something I would look into. I would hate for you to land your dream job at the FBI (if that is, in fact, your dream job) and have to forsake it because you need to be a slave at a BIGLAW firm just to pay off loans. The other thing is that BIGLAW firms are very picky about schools. You would probably have some options in a place like Houston, but the big money cities might be a little remiss to take a shot on someone that has been in LA their whole life. It is much more regional than you realize if you don't go to a Top 14 school. It was my biggest mistake--thinking that I could go to the school I did and make the jump easily to the East Coast.
I'm over 100K in loans and only now am realizing what a slave you become to them. It's almost enough to make me tell you not to do it.

Let's continue talking about this. The fact that you aren't totally sure about going is also another indicator that maybe it isn't the greatest choice.

Any thoughts?

Jonathan said...

Mornin' sugar plum. Re-reading my comment from last night--when I say "tell you not to do it", I mean "suggest you think about it". I don't want to come off as all-knowing.

KIRAN LIGHT said...

Lemon muffin, there is no way that you could come off as a jerk-wad here. I hear you about the regional bit and Loyola specifically has a super nice work for the public interest for 2 years on the side and forgive massive amounts of debt. FBI not so much the dream job anymore- they cap you at 35K for the 1st 5 years- no OT but they let you work the OT. Not uber-excited about the slavish existence, but once upon a time my sights were set towards international trade laws, latin and central america were poised for some promising growth- (yeah Chavez!). the money has since moved to South Asia. which is what changed the schools I am willing to try for. in other news, do you like techno? if you have any tolerence for it at all (i hesitate to give this to you) but "deepest blue" by deepest blue. there is sound that sounds like what would come out of your head- too familiar and too easy to get lost in. radioblogclub.com look it up if you have time.

Jonathan said...

"Deepest Blue" by Deepest Blue -- listened and LIKED. I like techno. It just wasn't so big where I did my undergrad and law school, so it got lost for 7 years.

I'm so torn. I swear I'd never recommend law school to anyone, and I still think I feel that way. The MBA is a much better way to go. I'm so entrepreneurial (sp?) and I wish I would have gone for my MBA, or at least done the JD/MBA thing. Are you intent on going to law school next year. If you are working for a Fortune 100 company, it might pay to stick it out for a year or two past this (ride it out until that 3-year period when they say your job won't be there anymore.)
Do you speak a foreign language?

KIRAN LIGHT said...

English and bad english :)

proficient in spanish- planning to spend a month in costa rica (language school) to make the leap to fluent. What is the word to say I understand more French than I can speak- it's been to long since I've used it. Functional in Hindi and Gujrati. Going to start with Arabic the beginning of next year. 3 years of Latin under my belt which only serves to confuse me in every other language. and the reason I set the time frame for next august is that I am frustrated w/work. I am not the most patient person and maybe not so good at manipulating the system. I do a good job- you expect better things for it. The level of idiocy is sometimes makes me take a yoga class for lunch.