Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I guess this is as good a time as any...

And now for the fact surrounding Columbus...

Rewind a couple of months ago when we (ummm... really I) applied and interviewed for what I thought was the perfect job in Phoenix... and we (again; see I) were treated to a brand new adjective to describe one's self.... "overqualified". WTF is that?!

So the way we dealt with it was to go back to the drawing board and get in touch with my HR business partner. Because my company sees fit to provide one for each of the slaves. So I call mine and discover she is fantastic. Smart, funny, witty, and above all privy to the inner- workings of the company I work for and insight on how to get the better job.

*You will note I do not have it yet*

She says the first thing is to find something that looks like it fits my "career path" to which I say... "No, no I'm pretty close to prostituting myself in a professional (see non-sexual way) for an obnoxious amount of money". She laughs ands says that does not look so good on paper. So we find what we want to do, tailor resume to look like a progression towards it, and then knock their socks off.

Whom? you may ask? everybody. Starting with my boss and every bigger boss I can get to. Basically I am to speak to every person who will speak to me. How is this going?.... ummm... good and bad days.

Which led to to the biggest boss-lady in my city and her bigger gorilla boss (see the king of pride rock). The lady has no education and said I should focus on climbing the ladder one rung at a time. (this made me want to vomit on the floor of her office).

The gorilla said 1. to look at outside firms because this one may not be in a position to compensate me for my obvious worth and ambition. (also made me want to vomit) and 2. if I chose to stay- to send him my resume in email form so he could drop my name in casual conversations. and 3. to apply for a analyst rotation program which would give me the oppurtunity to do all the fun stuff for a decent living wage.

I am stupid. I stayed. and have splashed the resume from here to kingdom come. I did send him my resume and he does try to pimp me, dunno what it is that keeps me still here. and the program... The last "class" created a time conflict of finishing school so we didn't go beyond the preliminary round.

The back up to all of this... law school in august. still a viable option. What frightens me is my lsat... having to take it again, knowing I cannot change my gpa and trying to make the most of what will be the most practical "real job" experience.

My contact at J&B says it would be infinetly smarter for me to take another year... and a prep course for the GMAT... knock it out of the park and do the same for the LSAT. Also, apparently a promotion would show tremendous maturity and growth.

So if we don't get a promotion worth having, there is a chance we are hitting a lesser law school in August. No, no bubba... that's not how we roll.

Random Tuesday, I called in sick... and I was sick... in a sense. My Jen and I had lunch and I got a call. The gorilla says "you are not at work today? I'm putting you on a plane either tonight or 1st thing in the morning to Columbus to talk to so-and-so about the program you need to be in." Then the hiring manager calls to make arrangements. Off we go.
Columbus was overcast and gloomy. What made it worse was the 20 other candidates I interviewed with. They took 600 apps and interviewed a total of 50 in Chicago and Columbus combined. (see I'm going to be sick Part III) The worst part is (and this is really the worst part) is that positive thing you could say about me (articulate, educated- well degree holding anyway, driven, etc) I could say about any of them.

The interview was a writing sample, 2 face to faces, and a group activity where we were observed. at the end of the day... I don't know how it went.
The gorilla made a BIG deal about it... everyone knows. If I don't get this I am going to be so amazingly embarrassed and mortified. But everybody in the world is sure I got it. Friday makes a whole month... and I haven't heard anything from the only person that matters.
Gorilla told me to call the hiring manager (who was one of my face-to-faces and he really did pitch me soft balls... but I wonder if that is just his demeanor. He is easy to talk to) so I did, and left a message before Thanksgiving... NOTHING.

Further I have a friend of Bat-Girl's sister on the inside in Columbus to kind of poke around. and still... NOTHING. Ick.

So we look to the back of plans and duck every question about this. The uncertainty is making it hard to eat. Now I'm starting to actually lose the weight Bride-zilla wanted me too. My friends are accusing me of buying in the "caucasian" ideal of beauty and trying to lose the butt (i wouldn't complain).

While I feel better I blogged this... I wish I just knew how this turns out... I mean, do these guys know my cab driver in Columbus was even praying for me? That has GOT to be worth something.

No comments: