Wednesday, August 15, 2007

August 14, 1947


Today is India's Independence Day.

It is the 60th anniversary.

Why is it a big deal to a girl who is 3 generations away from it and 1st generation American? because it is humbling to have a conversation with my illiterate maternal grandmother who looks as me with eyes full of expectation.

Because I am 3 generations away from illiteracy. from destitute poverty. from not having a hint of a prayer for education or the luxuries I take for granted.

Because my parents want me to marry an Indian. and I am so spoiled I can grimace and say that I'm not marrying some back-a**wards guy who does not speak English and has no education and will never make more than I do.

It is why my grandmother looks at me and asks what I am going to be in life and how I am going to get there. The underlying hint of a line of ancestors that made huge sacrifices that I may drive a Jeep Liberty (not overly impressive-but in her world, it is) and live in the (arguably) richest country in the world.

Like the idea in "A Thousand Splendid Suns"... have your ancestors given so much of their lives, their families, their heartache... for you to be a maid in a foreign country.

It is the expectation that you will be great because you come from greater stuff. and there are mother-nations of billions of people who never had and will never have the chances that you do.

No comments: