Thursday, August 30, 2007

Excel Certified, I am!

I have begun to talk back to my books. Not literally, but in a sense... yeah, I guess literally.

I did it with Shantaram... I wrote my thoughts and responses throughout the book. at the end of each part I wrote a page on the divider. Since then I've been jacked for that book, and have been trying to get it back to have my words ever since.

On to the Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie. My initial responses...

1. What's the bid deal? He has a price on his head for this?
2. A lot of the elements and themes are like that of Midnight's Children (another of his books)
3. He is a hard read. I am only half way through from the 2 weeks I've been reading it.
4. He is hard because I lost interest 100 pages ago.

I dunno. Just not that into it. but I am making myself finish it. Now on to the controversy. I get that it is huge b/c he is Muslim, so are his main characters. and he gives them the bearings of an angel and demon and portray and struggle w/personifications of such. he gives modern life like verses and visions to very old religious stories.

In reflection, I'd rather analyse it and pick apart the way his characters see things, what they say, what they do... than take it in all at once. or in small spurts. or just read by myself with out the warm squishy understanding (and drinking?) of a book club.

so I have since started to write back. I'll let you know if I get anything interesting.

Also... New segment courtesy of Japan (I am still hesitant to fully blog him)... (he does not get to read the blog)... (because we are still suspect on whether this modern day hippie is nuts)

What I learned today: (this may be the new blog)
If you begin your day... and find a tiny hole near the back pocket of your jeans, please change your jeans. Even if they are your favorite jeans, even if this course of action will make you late. Change them.

If you do not change them, DO NOT wear hot pink underpants. It is not advisable.

Why? simple. because over the course of the day, you will break you back pockets. or the holes will magically get bigger leaving you hot pink bum a little more exposed than you would have liked. I'm just saying. hypothetically.

What I learned yesterday:
If you leave a cell phone in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, it will stop working... but the screen will say that it will allow emergency calls. You must turn it off and take the battery out... and let the whole thing thaw (some suggest sitting on it... some suggest sitting on it when it is fully functional as well... not me, Christmas!). Turn it back on, pray for it to work.... and promise it that you will never never do that again.

How that happened... I'm watching what I eat, so I have to pack lunch... or I will end up starving and eat anything. I left the house with not enough hands and put the phone in the lunch bag... and put the lunch bag in the fridge at work. I got angry email from Bunkles and began looking for the phone.

Not in purse, not in Blanca, not on the desk, didn't leave it at home... Surely, I did not! yep, yes I did.

No comments: