Monday, August 20, 2007

MY NEW JOB IS FREAKIN AWESOME.

Is it just me... or does that title also look like it is an invite to countdown how long it takes for new job to be not freakin awesome AT ALL?
so the exact title on the new business cards... which are on their respective way... say

Corporate Training Coordinator for E&I (Environmental & Infrastructure)

Consulting Firm (ish) is also a Fortune 500 company (albeit barely) one of 3 with a huge presence in LA. Our state is just not good to companies... in fact our tax laws suck. In fact all of our politics suck... in fact Jindal is not the answer only a manufactured candidate, but we have to try him because he is the lesser evil and a novel Catholic Desi. What just happened in that paragraph?

Oh, and the 1st day... friggen sweet. Orientation was 2 hours but interesting. after badges, I got to hit the ground running on a conference call with the head of all other aspects of training (because I have an idea of what I am doing..or not at all :). Got pulled for lunch with the head of one of the serpents... ate with her... pulled again by the Head Recruiter whom I 1st interviewed with. My boss is out of town this week... so he says I get to eat with him... I told him I just ate.. He says ...

"We are expensing it, and a private chef is making it... so eat again. or take it home. I know the other manager... she will try to feed you salad... that is not food".

Other manager DID feed me salad. and it was not from the private chef!

So post lunch I am enlightened to the fact that I am not "in the system" so I can not log on to computer... and tell you guys how righteous my day is... so I am given an office depot catalogue and told to "PIMP my cube"... we'll come back to that.
Recruiter casually happens by and scoops me up for a "chat". Which was hours of him talking about EVERYTHING. He is fascinating to be sure. and I can learn a lot from him. about my job, about his job, about how to do well at this company. He has taken a shine to me...

... and then the little voice in my head hears the last explosive conversation I had with Shy. To which he expostulates...
"You don't even know how hard I work for you. I am putting your name in the right ears all the time. You will get Northwestern if you want it, Firm will pay for schooling if you stay in LA, and you will move up there. Provided you don't set anything on fire, you are golden there."

I question his motive and am adamant that I can and AM doing this on my own. Further what does he get out of the situation? He says "I get to love you from afar". This is too weird. I tell him I don't want it. Nothing is free and I am not for sale. Not for a job, not for a school... not at all.

He feels insulted.

I don't know what else to do. I think he is not talking to me again (would anyone that is shocked and dismayed... and does not understand that he will get over it in 2.5 seconds... please read the archived entries of this blog).

Swim Lessons. At the end of this month (maybe before) I am going to see about taking a class at LSU. Bama is good. Bama has cancelled 2x since Thursday. (which secretly worked out well for me) but he is getting ready to go away... and he has a lot to wrap up. I understand.

I also understand that this is now a non issue. (I've typed that before) But all of the quality time has not been weird. We have always been able to avoid the "us" conversation for polite and at times more pressing issues... and it is not that important.

It was because I am me. and I felt slighted. and I lacked being comfortable enough to express... but now I could. and he is not the person that needs to know it. It would do no good. and the next time with someone else, I have better to offer. so yay me.

Whew! Big post. Later I will tell you why I heart August. It is the best month ever. and much like last August... full of YAY ME!

No comments: