Friday, September 01, 2006

The Fearless Hunter

As per my last blog- here is the story of my mom. She calls as I am driving to work with ... "Do people here eat raccoons?" To which I say "some do"... It's mom... This could really literally be going anywhere. She asks if I want her to try to cook one... This I do not want. Let me explain my mom... She is the "bitty bitty moms" she is 5'3" and about a 103 lbs. very vegetarian Indian mom. But she is willing to try to learn how to make anything and over the years has done her darndest to assimilate with holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving. She really is adorable... especially when she has no clue what she's doing.....

So I ask her where she is getting a raccoon to cook... this is south LA, this is a very important question. She says she doesn't have it yet but she's about to find him and hit him with a shovel. Between my Coke, mom, and laughing so hard I couldn't breath... I had to pull over.

Further probing led me to turning around and going to mom's. Apparently the dogs next door found an animal and were giving it a hard time. It took refuge by using the whole in the fence she uses to slip them biscuits to hide in mom's garden. My cocker spaniel and the lab mix were apparently against this and started to give it hell. We put the dogs on leashes and opened the gate to try to let the animal out into a field near her house. It was an armadillo and his behind had been beaten up, it was a bit bloody but his little legs were fine. They more look like flesh wounds if it possible for armadillos to have flesh wounds.

Armadillos are a lot like raccoons... except not at all.

So mom asks if wanted her to try to make something with armadillo in it... after all she had pulled out the shovel and she still might be able to catch it. Tantalizing as that may have been I kissed her on the forehead and found the interstate back to work.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Brilliant story - you should have taken your mom up on the offer.

Tell her that if any other animal comes in the back yard and she feels like cooking a little something up at its expense, I'm coming over for dinner.