Sunday, May 20, 2007

chasing the American Dream

Church tonight was interesting. It was the "youth ministry"... so a bunch of college/late high schoolers. It was good though. One thing that Christianity has that my mandir lacks is a sense of real fellowship. The idea that all of these people are there to lift you up. Not just root for you when you are doing well... but pull you back to God when you don't know yourself.

and I sit and I type and I spoke to DK today about being approached by females I barely know wanting me to introduce them to the Overachiever. I understand how he is prime property... undergrad from Howard, MBA from Harvard, and a law degree from Georgetown. Impressive breeding, political manners and what the Dream Killer imagines that he is.

Further, the actual Politician. Also academically impressive. Aggressive campaign for State Senate. Family has uber successful law practice. Both brothers and father, now him. partner in awesome firm. He is young... early 30s. I forget where the degrees are from...with an LLM in tax law. Athletic scholarships in soccer and something. He is promiscuous because he can be.

and then Bianca's sidekick and her reprehensible actions with the judge and his flunkies.

and how funny it is all at the same time. It is the way that the women in my city are chasing the American Dream. Marry well... so the most successful males are having many flowers thrown at them. Like this is the only way it could happen. Like the way you marry well is to trick people or lord the power of the p***y.

Last night I had dinner w/Bianca and we bounced around looking for something to do. She also knows Bunny. We discuss how she does. She says "I heard she's crazy" I say "of course not, don't you dare say so. why do you say so?" She heard it from another mutual. and the reason? Because Bunny has a PhD in pharmacology and she does what she does for a living...and makes much less than she should. I counter with "but it is an honest living and she didn't pass her boards... you know what it is like to momentarily fail and get down on yourself... some people don't come back from that".

Bianca says "no, no ma'am I do not know what that is like. I know what it is like to fall. and you get up and do it again." I understand it. but I still say WAY HARSH. Especially since we establish the job she gave sidekick was a girlie decision... "she is my friend, she has kids, she lost everything in the hurricane..." and it is professionally kicking her in the head. A male dominated industry dictates that we play like the boys. and never mix the personal and professional.

oh and full out lsat on Saturday gave us a 166! Now if I can do it on the real thing.

No comments: