Wednesday, June 06, 2007

LSAT for dummies

ok kiddies... here's the LSAT strategy... because when you go into battle you need a strategy.

I have to take it at Southeastern University. So the Dream Killer is taking me and driving back. Because SLU is in Hammond, and I've never been to Hammond. and LSAT day is NOT the day to get lost. LSU was full and I am too much of a snob to take it at Southern. Why? because the last testing at Southern produced the following horror stories:

1. Right before the exam the head proctor said "This is the most important thing you will ever do in your life. BEGIN!"oh, ok. no stress there.
2. Four of the proctors in another room held conversations amongst themselves.The whole time What about? WHO FRIGGIN CARES!
3. They did not give 5 min warnings and did not call time on the last section. So the people in the back got 3 extra minutes to finish.

For those of you who do not understand the special brand of crazy this exam elicits... let me enlighten you.

3 35 min sections (1 doesn't count... you don't know which one) then a 10 min break. Then 2 more 35 min sections that both count. and a writing portion that more and more schools are looking at. You don't have enough time to do the questions and they are written in such a way that requires a whole new way of thinking. and you have to do it FAST. ugh.

My only cool horror story is this:
The 1st time I took in, last June. You have to copy a statement "I am taking this exam for the sole purpose of applying to law school...etc." basically that you are not teaching for like princeton or another exam prep... you have to write it in cursive and sign it.

A guy screams "F*CK I FORGOT HOW TO WRITE IN CURSIVE!" and storms out.

So Princeton Review... sage advice that my teacher gives us for test day...(this is actual advise, I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried)

1. The exam is at 1, you have to be there for 1230. If you normally sleep until noon... start getting up earlier.
2. During the break-eat something. It doesn't matter what. a candy bar and drink a coke. You won't crash from a sugar rush in an hour (technically at that point we have an hour and 45 min left)... but don't eat something heavy.... like steak. Do not try to eat a steak in 10 minutes. (always good advice I think)
3. DO NOT pick test day to try Ritalin or Aderol for the 1st time. (nice!)
4. If you get stuck sitting next to the foot-tapping guy... raise your hand and ask the proctor to ask the foot-tapper to stop. If you talk to anyone for any reason it constitutes cheating.
5. DO NOT curse out the test proctors under any circumstances for any reason.
6. If you get to the last section w/a few minutes left and you have a couple of questions left... and you have to go to the bathroom...bubble in what you can before you ask to leave. Even if you have to pee on yourself. You will never see those people again, it will only be embarrassing for a minute... those few questions could be 3 points.
7. DO NOT try to guess which of the 1st 3 sections doesn't count. You have no idea. and if you guess wrong... you could drop 20-something points.

This is what $1200 buys these days.

so back to strategy:
all of the games. it's my best section. last practice I got them all.
20 args. the section is about 23-26. I've been shooting for 23 and scoring 20s. This week is pacing so I trying to get up to 23. but if I had to do it today, it would be 20.
3/4 reading passages. plus one of the passages is the new unreleased questions. so we have no idea (ok well we have SOME idea what it will look like) and have never tried one. So again, sticking to what I know.

Going to the gym for a bit of hot tub and maybe step. no circuit still. Yimmy lesser tried to kill me today. but there was coffee involved. Paul (the other PT) and the intern are laughing at me. They think I am spolied b/c Yimmy still feels bad about making a point. I respect him more for it. Though I would not so much tell him.

Theme:Desi Rock - DJ Swami get it people. You got this? I got this. This is what we do to get the dream school. It's gonna work. It has to. Please dear God, let this be enough.

No comments: