Friday, April 06, 2007

If I was a super hero, my special power would be heart.

because I believe it is the strongest thing in me and though you may not know, my heart can heal the world. In theory. Because everything works in theory.

DeeDee is out of town. She and her 2 kids and husband are in Houston until Sunday.

That leaves her in-laws (father and mother) and her brother at her house. At 76 her father in-law has decided that he wanted a part time job in this country. So a retired 2nd grade school teacher in India, is now an evening stock clerk at Wal-Mart. I don't understand it either.

DeeDee is mortified and embarrassed. What will people think? It isn't for the money and he says it is the nicest part of his day. I understand that.

As she and husband are out of town, she asks me to drop him to work and pick him up. I have no issues with that. She says she can make arrangements so I could just drop or just pick up. I tell her not to worry, I've got him, and I do.

Talking to him this morning, he says a lot of stuff. Some in English, some in Hindi, some in Gudjrati. I didn't get all of it, I usually don't. I tell him I will see him at 4:45.

I show up and he has made me tea. It is Indian chai... you should only drink chai made from someone's hands. The stuff in the box or at coffee shops is wretched and it's not real chai.

DeeDee's brother (who lives with her) works at a store 5 minutes (or less) from the Wal-Mart the old man is to go to. He gets off 15 minutes before the old man. He will not wait for 10 minutes for the old man.

The old man told me that I should come for tea but he would not need the ride to work, but he would love to see me. As I am drinking tea, brother calls and tells the old man that he wants tea but the old man is not to be in the same room- he wants to drink his tea alone. and further, if the old man is not ready on time, the brother will leave the old man. The old man curses in Hindi, and asks me to still drop him to work. Of course I will.

Brother comes to tea. We pass pleasantries and he is embarrassed I am here to see the old man. He says not to worry he will take care of the old man. Old man says he will keep my number in case he needs it.

As I drop the old man to his Wal-Mart he lights up with the biggest smile. He says "I am glad you came. I feel like you are my daughter". He shakes my hand and passes the other over my head (it is a form of blessing that an elder gives a child). and today I am happy to have been in the right place at the right time.

No comments: