Monday, April 09, 2007

No sell-outs here.

I imagine this is what swagger must feel like, and if it is... then apparently I have some.

How to set this one up? This has been an interesting weekend. Through a benedryl, aleve cold and sinus, and musinex haze. In other news... Mom and grams are back from India... Mom bought me a wedding sari. Granted it's only one of 3 (white, yellow, and intricate dark red and gold- i got the third)... but imagine your mother buying you a wedding dress... just because. (oh this is SO not good).

So mom has been hinting about the "soon it will be time for you to marry", and I politely remind her that while she is free to express an OPINION it is still my choice, and I can say no to anyone she throws at me.

PhD from a while back is in town for a week. He leaves on Wednesday. Need a refresher? Click PhD.

Mom was pulling hard for him. But I had to like him, and I don't. at all. let me say that again... AT ALL.
His PhD is in Chemistry and he is an assistant professor at a university. He is here to take a trip to Mississippi to get info on a research project over the summer for Diabetes and Cancer research. Fairly impressive. So he is smart. Want to know what he does in his spare time? He drinks.

Bear in mind, I am not so much of a hypocrite that I am judging. But yesterday I watched him drink 10 bottles of Michelobe Ultra (and I felt the need to point out he drinks like a freshman sorority girl) in about 3 hours. Actually 2.5 because we changed bars at some point.

I got schmucked because Avi (whom I adore like a my little brother) asked me to come see 300 w/them. He, Phd, me, Avi's sis, and her boyfriend. It was chill. Sis and boyfriend went to see another movie. The rest of us were going to play pool but ended up at Hooters. I take no issue with this.

At some point the Dream Killer calls and I answer and invite him out. He asks who is there and he laughs for a solid 3 minutes. He laughs so hard he starts to cry. He correctly surmises that either 1. the casual "get together" is not going well and i need him to save me or 2. i'm just trying to spread the weird around.

A little of both. but there is no way I could ditch them with it looking like a ditch. So per Dk's request we move to a different bar that was closed because it was Easter. We ended up at Chilli's because you can always count on a corporate chain to be completely souless and profit driven.

We are sitting in the bar area (Avi is 17/18 and couldn't sit at the bar) and talking, it is chill and laid back. PhD notices I am wearing boots w/heels and he asks how tall I am... I said something like "I'm not going to tell you" he says... and this is the sound-byte of the night... "That is why you are single". Excuse me?

This yuk-head says I'm bossy. Why do I care what you think? He says he is single because he is a p***y. I can see that. He is cocky as all get out... oh and he drank 10 beers in 2.5 hours. He is quite lacking in charm. Being a professor of sorts, he talks about how many girls throw their flower at him. and in talking to me he says that he is not one to beg... hmmmm someone told me that recently. and it is still funny.

The comeback that was on the tip of my tongue (and fortunately stayed there) was... "and yet I am a citizen and can offer a green card, mother f*cker. if you aren't begging yet... give it a minute, you will be"

I don't ask anyone to beg. I don't. and when it has happened... it does not make me want to date you, it makes me run. It is not a requirement of someone who wants to date me. But here is the thing that I am starting to figure out. (and this is where the swagger comes in)... and maybe it is a by-product of "if you hear something enough times you start to believe it"... I am a great catch. and I'm not going to be with someone who does not see it that way also. Further, I don't want to date someone that I don't also see as a great catch. Because I want to be able to love and respect the person I am with. And I am getting closer to being in the frame of mind to be open to that.

This being single thing is getting frustrating. but it is Waaaaay better than being with the wrong person. and last night was an official NO on the arranged marriage thing. again. why? because Indian parents (maybe moreso than other parents) do NOT know their sons like they think they do. Each believes they have Krsna incarnate. I have yet to see that true.

So his summation of me? Preface with we were ragging on Avi who is not a virgin, and he points out that neither is anyone at the table- bear in mind that I am the only girl. PhD says, "wow! I had no idea that you were so cool. you curse, you drink, and you've slept around". To this I say "check please" and DK contains the crazy that was about to knock PhD smooth the f*ck out.

No comments: