Tuesday, April 03, 2007

IT'S A MOVIE!


Let me preface this with this very well may be the single most personal and profound post to date. ugh.

Jhumpa Lahiri's novel "The Namesake" is now a movie. She is one of my favorite writers, one of the first I ever related too, and a woman who's words make me want to put down my pen as I may never be worthy to have my words sit next to hers.

If you read you will know that the cultural issues that Bama made up were sparked with a lecture centered around some of her other work. I hate the commercialization that has come with every minority having a genre of literature (ok fiction) to say there is that niche for them. Largely because it gives way to so much bad writing being published. I for one have had it with chic lit and urban fiction, it's just not good.

But this! wow. It's a movie. I have to see it! I hurridly pull it up on my yahoo page to see where it is in my city. Then I search it under movies. Then I search the closest theater to me... It's in New Orleans. Dammit!

I don't know who I would consider to go with me. least of all if it was in my city and not new orleans. I can tell you that I will probably cry. a lot. and that would be embarrassing. and then to drive an hour out and back.

I have way more bouncing around in my head over this, I just cannot manage to articulate it. I don't care if it is bad, I have to see it. To see the characters I internalized and saw so many of the people the way I know them... wow. I bloody well will get lost in new orleans looking for a theater.

No comments: