Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The Future of Medicine Should Scare You

"He's lovable like you! There have been times that I wanted to pop your head off and put it at the top of a tree with you body in a whole other tree... but given a little time, I can't stay mad at you and I would spend every cent I have to put you back together again."

This was the analogy my mom gives me on my way into work. WTF?

One of her little case techs is in BIG trouble and she is not taking this well. We've established everybody loves my mom. Especially all the newbie hospital staff, case techs, and kids that work at the hospital trying to get into medical school.

On a good day she lets them hide behind a desk and study while at work. plus she feeds them, so now they follow her like a mother duck... on a bad day she chases them with a broom or throws things if she has to- to get stuff done. She puts the fear of God into them... with a very English accent even.

So Techie is a lovable goof. He has been accepted to LSU-Shreveport (med-school) for August.

He was bopping around on Friday. In an operating room where they are working on a carotid artery (major artery... if they mess up... you die) some genius gives Techie a piece of dry ice. He put it in a blown up latex glove with the intention of hanging around until the ice popped the glove.

He was not in the room when it popped. It did not disturb the surgery because it was almost done. But it popped very loudly. That is beside the point.

Someone finds the glove and no one knows who it belongs to. Until it is being discussed in the hall, and Techie hears it and says "Darn! I missed it! I wanted to be there for it!" So he busted himself.

The Doc in the OR reported it to HR who sent him home. Techie is informed and hides behind my mom. Mom should have been told 1st... she is the supervisor. Doc was highly upset so he didn't tell her. There is nothing mom can do at this point, Techie has to appear before a committee.

It's about to get worse.

Fast forward to Monday. Doc has had the weekend to think about it... or more specifically to have his ego stroked and righteousness inflamed by an Anesthesia Tech who did not get into med school. Doc is also going to have a chit chat with the committee and pen a letter to LSU-Shreveport. So that Techie may not have plans for the coming fall.

Mom is not taking this well.

She calls me to ask "Should I call Techie and tell him to grovel? Have his dad write letters and grovel as well. If he doesn't throw his weight behind his son... He's not going to med school... he will be devastated. I don't think he even understands the severity of this. Blast you kids!"

Hey! I resent that.

The other thing is that the Doc thinks my mom takes Techie's side. and the only reason he has been productive for a year and a half is because mom is behind him with a broom. I say that makes her effective. If there is anything of value in you, my mom will find it. So mom can give her professional opinion... which is only that he has potential.

The only other way she gets honorable mention is that Techie once brought his guitar to work. and played it at the nurses station with a back surgery in progress behind him. She grabbed him by the ear and raised hell in a closet. The guitar has not shown up since. So she has the merit of being effective.

But Techie is young minded. He does immature things and has a lot of growing up to do, yes. Maybe med school with straighten him up, but maybe not. and is this what you want in your Operating room? Removing your spleen... or other miscellaneous surgeries.

It is nice mom asked my opinion, but I know I am the sounding board for her to bounce off of. She is going to try her damnedest to save him. Because that is the bitty bitty moms that she is.

No comments: