Saturday, October 07, 2006

Update on balls...

So if you remember yesterday's vignette... you know we wanted to go home, but also to ask for raise. Boss lady gave me the option to do both. She clairvoyantly recognized that I was at a very interesting fork in the road... actually, I was very close to stabbing someone with a fork. So she give the Okey-doke for me to peace out. Still I promised myself balls, and balls I would have.

I asked for the raise. Good news... it's coming in 3-5% that I should notice sometime around Feb. Bad news... (1)I will drop dead before then, (2) it's not worth the wait nor is it sufficient, (3) maybe that is the kick in the pants I need to find another job.

Let's re-evaluate this. I am trying to be fair and objective. This was the job to get me through undergrad (mission accomplished). That this is a Fortune 100 company says it should be ripe with opportunity... it is not. I once bought into the High Performance Culture to the point that I thought being Wonder Woman here would help me swing to the next branch. The reality is different. Especially with student loans coming due soon... it is a convenient reminder that I will soon be asked to pay more with the same salary for which I am doing an ass load of more work. Why does that just seem wrong? Amid interviews, conversations, networking, and wonderful reviews I have NO concrete indication that this is going to compensate me more or lead to better job. If this were a relationship I would so be done here! So no what to do to find wonderful replacement job? Working on it.

No comments: