Monday, March 12, 2007

"I like you just the way you are"


The title is the best line ever from the 1st Bridget Jones' Diary. It is when Colin Firth, who had been a f*ckhead right up until then, turns around and utters the most wonderful thing. and every woman everywhere went *SIGH*

I had a bit of one of those today. One of the big things that stung me about Bama was how much he talked about how comfortable he was with himself. My friends fully understand that I am not so much that person. I am embarrassed to be in my own skin. I am not by nature the social butterfly, but the bookworm in the corner. Dream Killer forever tells me that I have presence. I am enchanting. I walk into a room and I own it, everyone looks and no one knows that I am a dork... until I open my mouth and tell them.

I am told that I am my worst critic (aren't we all though?) and the one that defeats me. And if one more person tells me to pick up my head, I'm going to hit them in the shins w/ my bat mafia style.

But today he had only one class and thought he would sleep for most of the day. Of course we had to ruin that. I woke him up by calling 11ty billion times. We were talking about the upcoming ball- he equates it to a grown up prom. I am debating whether or not to wear the BCBG dress. Because if someone were to ruin that dress.. I would need a lawyer, that's all I'm saying. He says there will be a cash bar and intimates I should plan to stay over in case I cannot drive home, or he can't drive me home. and I am mildly offended... "I don't have a drinking problem! I am not a lush! I can NOT drink at a social function!" He says "I know, but you tend to indulge a little bit when you are out of your element". what?

He further goes on to swallow his foot by saying " I don't know why, but when you are trying to be charming- it comes across as forced. When you are playing hostess, you can be obnoxious. and if you drink too much for too long- it's just bad." So where is the good in this? He says "Be yourself. People come to you. they always have. People decribe you as enchanting... and you blush but you don't believe it, it's like you don't trust that." ummm.... well you did just imply that I am not someone that anyone would want to be around.

and then..."remember, I really started chasing you when you were sick. like throwing up for 4 months, spending most days on the couch in a ball. and I fell in love" ok, that means he has bad taste? "with no make up, and goofy bopping around, you are magic, and that is why you have the people you do". nice.

So I tell him I am wearing sweat pants to the ball and right on cue he says "and you will still be the most beautiful girl there." awww. followed by "but you won't, right?".

No comments: