Wednesday, March 07, 2007

"It's My Party"

and I guess I'll cry if I want to. (repeat)

Premise: 2 pieces of candy

Once upon a time I taught dance at a community center. My class was like 5-7 years old. When it rained all of the other 'classes' like soccer etc. played in the gym. So my girls did too. One day another coach showed me the greatest thing. She says "say hi to each one of your kids. Hug them and give them a piece of candy but be sneaky about it and tell them not to tell anyone" . "When you get them all together, give everybody a piece of candy. Now they all have 2 pieces and they all think they are the only one with 2."

This is cool, because you have never seen a bunch of little kids so happy with themselves. Even though you tell them not to tell anyone, it is only a matter of time before someone spills it and says they got 2. Now everyone says they have 2. and each little kid is still sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that you only meant for them to have the 2.

It is sufficient metaphor for what you get with most social beings. Think about it, it also exemplary of what you give. Need a real life example? Pseudo-Daydream is nice. He is nice to everyone. He is sweet to me and he does tailor certain workouts to what I need or what I'm working... but he was my specific trainer. and there are aspects of things he does for other people. Him catering to me is also very vocal. He tells people that he trains the dancer. So what would be my 2 pieces from him gets him street cred... get it? In a way it is all about working the angles.

Last night I was to meet JB for a function at the Wine Loft. A guy we know is opening 5 in the Houston area and he initially asked her to GM it. She has my Precious Precious Sunshine who is barely 1 1/2 years old (my god-daughter) so she said no. She wanted to be more of a mom and wife. She works to be sure, but didn't want to spend most nights in a bar. But we still had to go to the reception for the formal announcement. I also had the news about the LSAT and needed to talk to her because she is the other half of myself. So we were gonna sneak out later. Dream Killer had seen K-dawg (JB's husband) earlier and called the house to say hi. K-Dawg was staying home so Dream Killer got sent to chaperon... and pay for dinner.

The Loft was chill. Open bar for us (does it get any better? plus this is my favorite bar) and special private reserve bottles of my favorite wine. I was happy. DK played nice nice and JB mingled flawlessly as she does. Everyone is having a good time and then JB grabs my arm and says "I'm going to start my goodbyes. maybe 20 min and then we have to get out of here". I don't question it. She says she needs to go, we go. There is no discussion and I don't care why. I do it sometimes too. DK got told and he pouted.

We get to his car (he has the newest jeep- he's driving) and she says "I just had to leave. I met the guy who is going to GM and he is going on and on about it and it took everything in me not to scream THAT WAS GOING TO BE MY JOB AND YOU WERE 2ND CHOICE". ohhhh.

So dinner was at one of my favorite restaurants. I got veal w/crabmeat (this is LA, there is no reason to ever have crappy food) DK got duck and JB got stuffed soft shell crab. Wanna know what my to-go box has in it? Veal, duck, and soft shell crab. My tummy was still upset and I lost my dinner, so my friends gave me theirs with the hope that today will be a better day. We all called it a night.

Today I get the texts from DK. "Thank you so much, I had a great time" but what puzzled me was "I think I needed it way more than you". I say "How? you got to pay the ck?" he says, "But I had a date with 2 of the hottest girls imaginable, every guy was so jealous...every girl for that matter, and that felt good". nice.

So was it my "feel better" dinner, JB's reception for "not my job" or DK's "I need to feel attractive" night out? Does it matter? Let's just say we all had 2 pieces, and we were pretty happy about it.

In other news he keeps telling me that David's Bunny is crazy. Like really nuts. I say "No way" he says "maybe you just haven't crossed her yet". I still say 1) he may just be insecure about her being my friend as he usually is or 2) it comes from David the Magnificent Weirdo and really how reliable is he? I see so much good in her, what is wrong with these guys?

No comments: